ECU's EdD in Bangkok

East Carolina University has a wonderful program that is part of their East Asian Cohort.  It is an EdD that is geared for professionals willing to spend two weeks in Bangkok each summer and then two semesters online. Each summer, the group meets at the Thai-Chinese International School for two weeks. The online work is challenging but very rewarding.   I just finished my second term with the group and I have been very impressed with the professors, the program and the amount of individual attention I get from the teachers.  The professors are very motivated to teach groups of teachers wanting to be active researchers. 

Here is a blurb from their site.  Check the link below for full program details.

ECU is a member institution of the Carnegie Project on the Education Doctorate (CPED). This group is focused on making the EdD a true doctoral degree for practitioners. As such, the aim is to create an experience that honors the time and wisdom of full-time practitioners coupled with a learning experience that will ultimately improve one’s practice.

At ECU we have created a CPED inspired program that is three years—all in. That is, the course work and “problem of practice” (AKA dissertation or capstone project) are embedded throughout the individually or in teams.

This new EdD has been successfully piloted with a cohort in North Carolina where the 3 year completion rate was 90%. The national 7 year average is less than 40%!

Our uniquely designed EdD is tailored to meet the needs of full time practitioners. Program features include:

• A 3 Year Degree Program Including Dissertation
  • On-line Fall and Spring Courses
  • Two Week Face-to-Face Component each Summer in Bangkok (Last 2 Weeks of June)
  • Face-to-Face Dissertation Coaching (Scheduled Individually)

http://www.ecu.edu/cs-educ/leed/EdD-Int.cfm

• Like 1