Using Google Jamboard to Support Student Learning

Is anyone else loving Google Jamboard?

Google Jamboard is a tool that can be used to support learning in fully online and/or a personalized pedagogical approach.

One could model this for teachers by having them use Jamboard at your first staff meeting of the new year. Just asking them something simple like, "add  your name to the first slide to show you are present at the meeting."  At the end of the meeting, you could ask them to list one thing they learned at the meeting on another slide.

For students, I would use this with my ELA class and instead of having a drawing board, I would have them read and highlight excerpts from mentor texts online together. After they highlight those areas, I would ask them to fill in a slide called 3 Maybes and a But! which states a theory about the text. I could also have them add events to a slide that showcases a storyboard arch.

This tool could be use to promote digital citizenship by ensure that all texts we use are attributed properly and that students add their names to their own ideas so that others can see whose thought that was about a point in the text.

I could see this tool transforming our school in many ways. During online learning, we needed more ways to have students be interactive with each other but not just on video. Jamboard accomplishes this but it also lets students and teachers share their creativity with each other. Everyone is also co-creating a document that helps other members of the group. For example, in the Jamboard about a Story Map, some students may see a theory playing out in a different way but as students co-create in live online environment, their ideas and thoughts are challenged.

As we all know, we need to try to follow ISTE Standards. So which ISTE Standards might be met by this?
For Educators:
Designer
Educators design authentic, learner-driven activities and environments that recognize and accommodate learner variability. Educators:
5a
Use technology to create, adapt and personalize learning experiences that foster independent learning and accommodate learner differences and needs.
5b
Design authentic learning activities that align with content area standards and use digital tools and resources to maximize active, deep learning.
5c
Explore and apply instructional design principles to create innovative digital learning environments that engage and support learning.

In conclusion, Jamboard can be fun and a great way for students to be actively engaged in your classroom. Give it a try at:

jamboard.google.com

If you have a Google for Educators account, be sure your Google Admin activates this on your domain!

• 7 months later...

Google Jamboard works fine, which has been my major online whiteboard app for years. 

students can pull up your whiteboard and interact with it if you let them. Simplifies things bc you don't have to share screens with them, and if you have students in class and virtual at the same time, you just draw on your screen at school and it shows up everywhere without screen sharing.

I got a  xp-pen drawing tablet .  I think and I love it. Way better than a mouse, since I can write on the Google Jamboard app. You can draw or write with a mouse, but a tablet is much easier and more natural feeling.