What To Look For In Your International Teaching Contract

Teaching abroad can be a wonderful experience, or it could be the absolute worst! The difference will come down to various factors, but one of the most important will be the terms of your employment.

Some schools offer great packages. Some offer terrible packages. And some can wind up serving up a great deal if you stand up for yourself – and ask for it in writing before you go. To make sure you don't get stuck sucked into an awful contract, here's some of the things you should look and ask for before you sign your contract with an international school.

·      Can I get my salary in dollars, pounds or euros? This is very important if you are working in a third-world country that could devalue its currency at any time. You want to make sure you are paid in a solid, dependable currency.

·      Will I have to get my own apartment? Some schools will provide you with lodging. Some will not. If not, you need to find out how hard it will be to find a place to live and what it will cost. You don't want to end up in a situation where housing near the school is so expensive that you have to get a place far out of town and spend a long time commuting every day.

·      If they provide lodging, what will the details be like? This is very important. Some schools do provide housing, but in situations that are... let' say, less than ideal. Will you be stuck with a roommate who is assigned to you? Is the housing in a bad area where you will be worried about crime? Even worse is if you have a place that requires you to come home before a certain time of night. All of these are problems international teachers have faced. Find out if they pay for expenses like utilities, internet and water. Some will say they do this but be sure it is in the contract.

·      Will I have to get involved in extra curricular activities, and if so, to what extent? One nightmare many international teachers have found themselves in is a light teaching load, but they're obligated to take part in a lot of extra curricular programs that eat away at their free time – without getting any extra pay. Some like the extra curricular work, but for others it's a drag. You need to know exactly what will be expected of your time – all of your time.

·      Will they hold my passport? Schools that have a bad reputation often insist on holding their international employees' passports. This is so they can't just quit when they realize they don't like the job. Do not EVER accept a contract from a school that will ask for your passport.

·      Will they help me with my visa and other paperwork requirements? In some countries, the paperwork can be very confusing and time consuming. You want a school that will help you through the process so that everything runs smoothly. Getting a visa and setting up a bank account so you can get paid are generally the most difficult paperwork jobs, and ones you really want the school to help you with.

·      Will they pay to fly me home for the holidays? Many people don't even think about this, but it is a perk many schools will offer – if you ask for it. It can save you a lot of money and make sure you aren't lonely during the school breaks.

·      Can I use my own curriculum? Some schools will let you, and some will not. If they will not let you, ask them what their curriculum is so that you can feel certain you will be comfortable with their teaching methods.

·      What kind of settling in allowance will I be getting? If the apartment is unfurnished, you will need some to get it set up.  Many international schools have fully furnished apartments and the need for a big allowance to settle in is not needed.  Still many will give you money to get you started in the country.  Ask the school what, if any, allowance you get and how long after you arrive before getting it.

·      What kind of medical insurance will I be getting?   Ask for a copy of the terms of medical insurance, particularly to check if preexisting conditions and maternity are covered. One last thing, if you need regular medication make sure it's available, you'd be surprised what can appear on the banned list. If you are from the USA, make sure that coverage is provided Worldwide, INCLUDING the USA.  Some policies do not include coverage in the USA and some do.  If you are traveling home for the summer, this is important! 

cc InternationalEducators.com